April 1, 2021: Holy Thursday

Today's Readings: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/040121-Evening.cfm

In choosing a day to share a reflection, I chose April 1st because it is my daughter’s birthday. A truly special date for me. When I chose the date, I didn’t realize it fell on Holy Thursday / The Last Supper / Washing of the feet. I would say a truly special date for Jesus and all of us! Of course, as a lifelong Catholic I knew the readings, but I took this opportunity to discuss them with my sister and my daughter. The themes that came up were SERVICE TO OTHERS and UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.  

The Gospel says:

“You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master’, and rightly so, for indeed I am. 

If I, therefore, the master and the teacher, have washed your feet, 

you ought to wash one another’s feet.

I have given you a model to follow,

so that as I have done for you, you should also do.” 

SERVICE TO OTHERS and UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

Washing another’s feet was a very undesirable job and was usually delegated to servants. Even though He knew the end was near, Jesus lowered himself as a servant and showed His disciples how to serve one another. Jesus knew Judas was going to betray him, but He still washed his feet. Taking that into consideration, is there anyone whom WE cannot serve or love?

Jesus washing their feet symbolizes humility and selfless love.  Follow Jesus’s example with the same attitude.  Live a life of loving and humble service… 

A little Lenten prayer book, my sister received said:

“Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.” (John 13:14)

My Offering to God:

Today, I will attend to someone’s needs and serve them as I would serve Christ.  

Let us reflect on that and consider:

What if we all offered to put someone’s needs first without asking for anything in return?

What if we all truly loved one another without conditions or stipulations?

What if we all smiled a little bit more and complained a little bit less?

What if we all tried just a little bit harder to be like Jesus and serve others… even the Judases in our life?  

What if… 

- Jill Sheldon, Alumni & Development, Caldwell University

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 18, 2021: Thursday After Ash Wednesday

March 16, 2021: Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Lent

February 17, 2021: Ash Wednesday